Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer Reading List

Since I formulated my summer reading list over a month ago, I have crossed out 5 books - I am a slow reader - and this is about 30 percent of the total. I realized that many books in my list were part of teacher-generated book lists from my previous subjects while the others were written by authors in the lists. This is how I pick the next book to read.

The thing is, I want to read something else, maybe except crappy bestsellers like 50 Shades (sorry). Goodreads tells me there are many kinds of literature. One example is Immigrant Experience Literature. Maybe this is an informal category term because no professor have mentioned it in class or House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is called something else aside from “a book of vignettes.” It is, by the way, about the lives of Puerto Rican immigrant women in Chicago.

This lit type is interesting but I think I'm going to read what they call "Black Fiction." It may be different from the better-known Southern Literature, which I had a paper written on 2 semesters ago.

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry looks like a good pick and I don't think I'd still follow my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment